Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

American living abroad. Need to change country of origin.

  • 1 reply
  • 1 has this problem
  • Last reply by jscher2000

more options

I am an American living in the Philippines working as a missionary. My family's permanent address is in the United States. We vote in the United States. Our bank accounts are in the United States. When I am in the Philippines, I do not want my search engine to be set to the Philippines. It limits what I can search and keeps me from being able to go to sites I need. I notice that .ph is added at the end of everything, and then there is a problem and the site can't be accessed. Something as silly as looking up some ideas for teaching that I wanted to print, was not able to be accessed. Please tell me how to change my country of origin in Firefox. I really don't want to shift to Chrome or Safari, but I will if they can do this and you cannot. Thank you!

All Replies (1)

more options

Websites often will try to optimize your experience by adapting content to your current location, as determined by your service provider's IP address. You can use a VPN to change your apparent location (connecting through an exit node in the U.S.), or you can work with whatever features the site offers to select your own location.

With Google, you could try the "no country redirect" technique, which sets a cookie instructing Google not to take you away from the .com site: