This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
data not reloaded
So recently Firefiox updated or something (I am not very computer literate) and now I have lost the ability to log into certain websites. I think the extensions or add-ons were not restored at all. Not a huge deal for most sites but for the Australian tax office AUSKEY software its a big issue.
There is a folder on the desk top which was created during the update - so I guess my question is how do I reload/import the files from this new folder back onto Firefox to get my site certificates etc back.
I hope that makes sense.
All Replies (1)
Do you get an error page about a not secure connection then see;
If there is a problem with certificates and you have used the refresh feature in Firefox (i.e. there is an "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop) then you can copy the cert9.db file from that folder on the desktop to the current profile folder with Firefox closed.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You can copy files like these with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to recover specific data.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) or key3.db (57 and older) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
if you only have key3.db then make sure to remove an existing key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) or cert8.db (57 and older) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
if you only have cert8.db then make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)