Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

xulrunner error and high cpu usage after booting up

  • 7 replies
  • 1 has this problem
  • 399 views
  • Last reply by luminoussin

more options

Hi, I just recently use firefox as my browser and I notice some error which kinda bothersome. So here is the story, I notice that whenever I finish the booting up my windows (after entering password), I got xulrunner error which stated that and old firefox is running but not responding and when I check my cpu usage, I notice that a firefox background process is hogging around 27-35% of my cpu usage which is weird because I just finished booting up and I haven't opened a firefox browser. Of course I can end task this firefox background apps and everything back to normal but I am curious what is the problem with the firefox. See the attached image for the detail.

Chosen solution

HI, since EagleGet Free Downloader is not approved for use with Firefox I would think that is your issue. I would think to disable that and check it out using Safe Mode.

Before starting up Firefox you could look in your Firewall Logs and maybe see what that is connecting to.

If you know anything about DOS or the Powershell can use this to attempt to track down. Just have to Copy/Paste Get-NetTCPConnection and Enter. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/nettcpip/get-nettcpconnection?view=win10-ps

I also suggest a scan : https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Read this answer in context 👍 0

All Replies (7)

more options

luminoussin said

Hi, I just recently use firefox as my browser and I notice some error which kinda bothersome. So here is the story, I notice that whenever I finish the booting up my windows (after entering password), I got xulrunner error which stated that and old firefox is running but not responding and when I check my cpu usage, I notice that a firefox background process is hogging around 27-35% of my cpu usage which is weird because I just finished booting up and I haven't opened a firefox browser. Of course I can end task this firefox background apps and everything back to normal but I am curious what is the problem with the firefox. See the attached image for the detail.
more options

Chosen Solution

HI, since EagleGet Free Downloader is not approved for use with Firefox I would think that is your issue. I would think to disable that and check it out using Safe Mode.

Before starting up Firefox you could look in your Firewall Logs and maybe see what that is connecting to.

If you know anything about DOS or the Powershell can use this to attempt to track down. Just have to Copy/Paste Get-NetTCPConnection and Enter. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/nettcpip/get-nettcpconnection?view=win10-ps

I also suggest a scan : https://www.malwarebytes.com/

more options

If still have issues after the scan give a shout back. Do believe it is that Extension you have in though, it could be a bitcoin miner also.

more options

Please use more than 1 scanner as each uses diff tech :

Save your Report and google each before deleting anything as do not want to delete something you need, If need help :

Post in only 1 forum, then wait.

more options

You can use the MSConfig program or the Autoruns utility to see what software is getting started (be cautious with disabling services) to see if you can identify this XULrunner application.

See also:

more options

Pkshadow said

HI, since EagleGet Free Downloader is not approved for use with Firefox I would think that is your issue. I would think to disable that and check it out using Safe Mode. Before starting up Firefox you could look in your Firewall Logs and maybe see what that is connecting to. If you know anything about DOS or the Powershell can use this to attempt to track down. Just have to Copy/Paste Get-NetTCPConnection and Enter. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/nettcpip/get-nettcpconnection?view=win10-ps I also suggest a scan : https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Ok, Thank you for your reply, So i have tried scanning my laptop with malwarebytes and I did find 3 trojan and I have quarantine it. I also tried to disable my eagle get addon then restart my laptop and no error. And I tried to enable it again to make sure it is the problem but to my surprise I also didn't get any error. So for now I will try to monitor it for a couple of days to see whether the malware is really the problem or not. Thanks

more options

cor-el said

You can use the MSConfig program or the Autoruns utility to see what software is getting started (be cautious with disabling services) to see if you can identify this XULrunner application. See also:

Hi, Thanks for your reply, but for now I will try Pkshadow's suggestion first and if the problem still persist I will try your suggestion.