This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why do Firefox addons keep disappearing?
Using Firefox v. 42.0 right now, but this has been happening since about v.39, I think.
NONE of my extensions show up in the list.
When I click on Tools/Add-ons, then on Extensions, I am told I don't have any of this type of file installed. However, running in the background (properly) is one of my extensions, "NoScript." (I'm not sure which other addons actually are installed and working but do not show up in the list.
The screen capture extension, "Lightshot" is notorious for disappearing (and requires it to be installed nearly every time I want to use it), but I have another dozen extensions that do not appear on the list.
What is the fix for this, please?
All Replies (1)
One reason for this problem to occur would be some corruption in Firefox's database of extensions. You can force Firefox to regenerate the files by doing the following:
Open your current Firefox settings (AKA Firefox profile) folder using either
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter
In the first table on the page, click the "Show Folder" button. This should launch a new window listing various files and folders in Windows Explorer.
Leaving that window open, switch back to Firefox and Exit, either:
- "3-bar" menu button > "power" button
- (menu bar) File > Exit
Pause while Firefox finishes its cleanup, then rename any of these files that you find:
- compatibility.ini to something like compatibility-old.ini
- extensions.ini to something like extensions-old.ini
- extensions.json to something like extensions-old.json
- extensions.sqlite to something like extensions-old.sqlite (might not exist depending on how long you've been using this settings folder)
When you start Firefox back up again, it should explore your profile folder and other folders to rebuild the list. It probably will ask you to approve some of the extensions. Once things settle down, could you check the Add-ons page again.