Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Archived

Firefox disappears but its process keeps running

CutterX

For the past few weeks, Firefox's window has been often disappearing out of the blue as if the browser crashed, but the browser's process keeps running in the task manager and I have to kill it to restart it. No crash report is ever generated. This happens often on websites that use Flash such as Youtube, Grooveshark and Imgur. I've disabled hardware acceleration but the crashes still occur. Please help.

For the past few weeks, Firefox's window has been often disappearing out of the blue as if the browser crashed, but the browser's process keeps running in the task manager and I have to kill it to restart it. No crash report is ever generated. This happens often on websites that use Flash such as Youtube, Grooveshark and Imgur. I've disabled hardware acceleration but the crashes still occur. Please help.

All Replies (3)

Bump. I have since started over with a fresh profile, and the problem persists. Please help.

You can check for problems with current Shockwave Flash plugin versions and try this:

See also:

Please install this. It is not a cure, but it will help.

Flash block {web link} Never be annoyed by a Flash animation again! Blocks Flash so it won't get in your way, but if you want to see it, just click on it