After a reinstall and reset, firefox will not remember my "use custom settings for history" setting, so of course won't remember passwords either
I reinstalled Firefox because changing the font size had screwed things up, then I reset it. Now Firefox won't remember my "use custom settings for history" setting, so of course none of my passwords. Given that I've already done a reinstall and reset, how can I get it to remember my settings? (It won't budge off "never remember history.")
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 11.0.10
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
That likely means that all history and cookie settings have the default value.
The "Use custom settings for history" selection allows to see the current history and cookie settings, but selecting this doesn't make any changes to history and cookie settings. Firefox shows "Use custom settings for history" as an indication that at least one of the history and cookie settings is not the default to make you aware that changes were made. If all History settings are default then the custom settings are hidden and you see "Firefox will: (Never) Remember History". "Never Remember History" means that Private Browsing is active and "Always use private browsing mode" gets a checkmark. "Use custom settings for history" stays selected if at least one of the History or Cookie settings is not the default to make you aware that changes from the default setting have been made.
Details like websites remembering you (log you in automatically) are stored in a cookie.
- Create a cookie 'allow' exception to keep such cookies, especially in case of secure websites and when cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: Exceptions