Tracking Protection in Private Browsing
A shield icon will appear in your address bar whenever Firefox blocks tracking domains.
To see which resources are being blocked, you can open the web console and look for messages under the Security tab.
Table of Contents
Block lists in Firefox
Starting with Firefox version 43, you will be able to change the block list used to block third-party trackers. By default, Private Browsing with Tracking Protection uses the Disconnect.me basic protection list. You can change this to use the Disconnect.me strict protection list instead.
- The basic protection list blocks commonly known analytics trackers, social sharing trackers and advertising trackers. However, the basic protection list allows some known content trackers to reduce website breakage.
- The strict protection list blocks all known trackers, including analytics trackers, social sharing trackers and advertising trackers as well as content trackers. The strict list will break some videos, photo slideshows and some social networks.
Change your block list
- Click the menu button followed by OptionsPreferences .
- Click on the left.
- Click the button next to “Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows” and select the block list you want to use.
- Click . You will see a "Restart Firefox" dialog box with the message Firefox must restart to change block lists.
- Click the button in the "Restart Firefox" dialog box.
- After Firefox restarts, you can close the OptionsPreferences tab.
How to turn Tracking Protection off
Tracking Protection is enabled by default when you're in a Private Browsing window. You may choose to disable Tracking Protection for a particular site or for all sites.
Turn off Tracking Protection for individual sites
- The shield icon will appear when Firefox is actively blocking trackers on a page. Click the shield icon to bring up the Control Center.
- In the Control Center, click
- Once Tracking Protection is disabled, a shield icon with red strikethrough will appear in your address bar.
Since Private Browsing mode doesn’t keep any information about your browsing session, when you disable Tracking Protection for a site, it only lasts for this session. When you start a new Private Browsing session, Tracking Protection will be turned on again for all sites.
Turn off Tracking Protection for all sites
- Click the menu button , followed by OptionsPreferences.
- In the Privacy panel, uncheck the box next to Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows.
- Close the tab to save your changes.
If you're already in a Private Browsing window, type about:privatebrowsing in the address bar and press the Enter key to go to the Private Browsing home page.
Click the link that says Turn Tracking Protection Off. If Tracking Protection is already turned off, you can turn it back on from the Private Browsing home page by clicking the link that says, Turn Tracking Protection On.
Clicking on the green check-marked button will turn Tracking Protection off. If Tracking Protection is already turned off, you can turn it back on from the Private Browsing home page by clicking the same button, which will look like this: