In some instances, Firefox may not remember changes you've made to your toolbar settings or certain other configuration changes, like window size or position.
This article explains how to fix the underlying problem that may result in one or more of the following symptoms:
- You have added, rearranged or removed buttons from your toolbar, but the changes are not saved when you restart Firefox.
- You have resized or moved the browser window, but the new size and position are not remembered when you restart Firefox.
- You cannot save new bookmarks.
Here are two ways that you can solve the problem:
Solution 1: Delete xulstore.json file
You may have a corrupt xulstore.json file in your Firefox profile. You can delete this file so that Firefox can create a new one.
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Click the menu button , click . and select From the . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open. menu, select
- Under the Application Basics section next to Profile FolderDirectory, click . A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open.
- Close Firefox:Click the Firefox menu and select .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen and select .Click the Firefox menu and select .
- Locate and delete the file xulstore.json (or rename it, for example, to xulstore.jsonOLD, to keep the old file as a backup).
- You can close the profile folder and open Firefox now.
Solution 2: Refresh Firefox
If you don't want to try the first solution or if it didn't work, the Firefox refresh feature will automatically restore default toolbar settings and browser window size or position, and will also remove add-ons (extensions and themes) that could be interfering.
- Click this Refresh Firefox button directly, if you are viewing this page in Firefox. This won't work if you are using a different browser or a mobile device.
- You can also find a Refresh Firefox button at the top of the Firefox about:support Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close to refresh itself. When finished, a window will list your imported information. Click and Firefox will open.