Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Firefox to remember its window position on my monitors when closing and reopening.

feelus1

Prior to the most recent updates firefox would remember the window position from when it was last quit. Now it always loads top left and full screen on my first monitor.

Prior to the most recent updates firefox would remember the window position from when it was last quit. Now it always loads top left and full screen on my first monitor.
Read this answer in context

Chosen Solution

Win7, mostly in XP mode as I don't like aero.

I move Firefox to the monitor I want.

Expand it to full size. Grab title-bar and bump it against the top of the screen. When the outline appears, let go.

All Replies (4)

If Firefox is maximized then make the window smaller and drag that window over to the correct monitor and close Firefox to save that setting.
After restarting you can maximize again.

Un-maximizing, then dragging the window, then closing Firefox doesn't fix the problem. Next time I open Firefox, it's in the same old position.

This can be a problem with the file localstore.rdf in the Profile Folder.

Delete localstore.rdf or rename the file to localstore.rdf.sav in the Profile Folder to test if the file is corrupted.
See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Corrupt_localstore.rdf
(caution: do not delete the localstore.rdf file in the Firefox program installation folder)

Note:
Deleting the file localstore.rdf will reset the customizations of the toolbars to the defaults.
You can rename "localstore.rdf" to "localstore.rdf.sav" to test if that solves it.
Then you can restore the customization by copying "localstore.rdf.sav" to "localstore.rdf" if it didn't work.

Chosen Solution

Win7, mostly in XP mode as I don't like aero.

I move Firefox to the monitor I want.

Expand it to full size. Grab title-bar and bump it against the top of the screen. When the outline appears, let go.