Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Since updating to version 27.0b2 on Win8.1 x64 my extension buttons (on my address bar) keep changing positions everytime I start Fx up.

more options

As I said, version 27.0b1 was working just fine. But once I upgraded to 27.0b2, the extension icons (buttons) on my address bar would automatically change positions and sometimes even go MIA! (won't even show up)! Every time I customize and drag the icons into position, it stays that way only until I close Fx and then restart. Then the same problem occurs.

This exact behavior also happens with the 28 nightly (Australis) that I have on another PC. What did the devs break with this 27.0b2 update? This is driving me nuts. Can anybody please help?

About my system: Win 8.1 (64 bit). Single (default) Fx profile. I didn't install any new plugins or extensions recently.

Chosen solution

Best is to check for problems caused by a corrupted localstore.rdf file in such cases.

Note that in Australis the toolbar setup is stored in a pref (browser.uiCustomization.state).

Note that Aurora is currently Firefox 28.0a2 and the Nightly build with Australis 29.0a1.
Australis is quite different than the previous toolbar layout and a lot of extensions will get broken.
Things can also change at any time when new code lands, so be prepared for more (possibly unpleasant) surprises.

Read this answer in context 👍 1

All Replies (2)

more options

Chosen Solution

Best is to check for problems caused by a corrupted localstore.rdf file in such cases.

Note that in Australis the toolbar setup is stored in a pref (browser.uiCustomization.state).

Note that Aurora is currently Firefox 28.0a2 and the Nightly build with Australis 29.0a1.
Australis is quite different than the previous toolbar layout and a lot of extensions will get broken.
Things can also change at any time when new code lands, so be prepared for more (possibly unpleasant) surprises.

more options

Just posting back to say that the localstore.rdf was indeed the culprit, and I got most of the things sorted out simply by deleting the errant file from my profile folder.

But I needed to change another thing to get the whole result. While everything was working as normal after the deletion, the AdBlock Plus icon was still behaving erratically. (I have it on the address bar, as I don't use the addon bar - it's a waste of space on modern day widescreen monitors).

Here's what I did to resolve the issue - Firstly, I went to ABP options to uncheck the "add icon to addon bar" option. (IMPORTANT).

Then Closed Fx. Next, I deleted the new localstore.rdf file again and started up Fx. That did it for me. If that doesn't for you, then play around with the order a bit. I had to do this by trial and error several times before I got this right. Extremely frustrating, but rewarding in the end none the less. :-)

Thanks Cor-el for pointing me in the right direction. Cheers!

Modified by ViewFromTheTop