DDS Scan Log showed countless entrees in User.js file. According to http://kb.mozillazine.org/User.js_file#About_the_user.js_file User.js file “does not exist by default”; but then since I didn’t add User.js file I became suspicious of spyware. But I want to be cautious before deleting it. So now my question is does deleting User.js file have any negative affect on my Bookmarks!? Probably not but I just want to be sure!
hello thomas, if you haven't created it yourself in the first place or aren't sure what has created it, then the user.js file shouldn't be there at all. you can go ahead and delete the file - it won't affect your stored bookmarks or other personal data...Read this answer in context 5
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.40.2 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.04
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
hello thomas, if you haven't created it yourself in the first place or aren't sure what has created it, then the user.js file shouldn't be there at all. you can go ahead and delete the file - it won't affect your stored bookmarks or other personal data...
Thanks Philip for your quick answer!
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender: Home Page:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller:
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Thanks so much for your great answer. Sorry for not replying sooner.