How do I save an image from the web to a specific folder on my Mac?
When I try to save an image to my Mac - I have the option of saving it to my Desktop, my Docs folder or a few others, but not to a specific folder for different things I'm saving. I can't scroll through my Documents folders for example and save it to one of them.
So i end up saving things to my Desktop and that soon gets out of hand.
How can I save to a specific folder, and a different one each time if I choose. I can do this in Safari, but prefer Firefox.
or consult other mac osx support resources. this is no question about firefox in particular...Read this answer in context 2
Additional System Details
- Version 22.214.171.12437
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.29
- Shockwave Flash 11.8 r800
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.7
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.2
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- WebEx64 General Plugin Container Version 202
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- RealPlayer Plugin
- Garmin Communicator Plug-in Version 126.96.36.199
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:23.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/23.0
hello vicky, you can right click (or control-click) an image & select save image as... in order to set a custom download folder
Thanks Phillipp - when i do that I only see Desktop or Documents or a few folders I've opened recently - I want to be able to choose the folder in my Docs that it gets saved to.
In Safari I can save it to wherever I want. Not Firefox.
hello, i think this is not a browser-dependant function but this dialog is displayed by the operating system. (i'm on windows though and don't know how it is handled on macs) - maybe see http://osxdaily.com/2007/04/25/how-to-enable-expanded-save-dialog-as-default/ for a workaround.
What are the Download settings here:
- Firefox > Preferences > General : Downloads : "Always ask me where to save every file"
Thanks - this looks like it would do it but i have no idea what it means to 'open the terminal' and paste in the copy they suggest.
Where do I find the terminal??
I want to be able to make a choice for each thing saved - not just download them all into a certain folder. Thx Cor-el
OK - I found 'terminal' and pasted in that line of copy - but it still doesn't make any difference when I go to save a image from the web. Looks like that's for having an expanded window open when saving something else.
Looks like I'll need to go back to safari or just accept that I'm going to be saving images to my Desktop all the time.
or consult other mac osx support resources. this is no question about firefox in particular...
Ah, wonderful phillipp - the link about mastering the save gave me exactly what i needed.
I had already called Apple support and they couldn't help me - but this is perfect - no more saving things to my Desktop! Thanks so much.
you're very welcome, glad you could solve the issue :-)