Windows xp old desktop, downloaded firefox, able to search web with google in top righthand corner, but can't search using the firefox search box, why not?
Computer novice, with old windows xp desktop, changed to firefox, have firefox as homepage, but can't use the central firefox search box, I type a word, click on search .......and....wait.......nothing happens. Have been able to use the top right hand corner search box (set on google). Not great with computers, so feel like I'm really missing something basic! Help! Thanks!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0
hello, please see if installing the search reset addon can resolve the issue: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/searchreset/ (a restart of the browser is necessary afterwards).
You can check if you still have the XML files of the default search engines in the searchplugins folder in the Firefox program folder.
- (32 bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
- (64 bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
If not then you need to reinstall Firefox.
You can delete the search.json file and a possible search.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
Big thanks to both of you, somehow ended up trying both methods, then when I started computer all is working as it should be, thanks again for helping a novice like me, it's good to know friendly advice can be found!