FlashPlayerPlugin_11_5_502_146.exe crashes in Windows 8 Pro using Firefox 18.01
After upgrading to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit from Windows 7, every page which has Flash content produces this error message:
'The instruction at 0x71a30000 referenced memory at 0x71a30000. The memory could not be written.
Click on OK to terminate the program'
If there are several Flash videos, it produces this error message for each one.
This does not happen on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, or Safari. However, I do all my web development on Firefox because of good third party tools, so this is a real problem for me.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.3"
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- BlackBerry WebSL Browser Plug-In
- Picasa plugin
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.0
- Photodex Presenter Plugin 4,52,0,3053
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Addendum: before I upgraded to W8 on my production machine, I tested it out on my test rig and a laptop. The flash plug-ins worked perfectly on these (same release), but they are both 32 bit machines.
You can check for problems caused by recent Flash updates and try these:
- disable a possible RealPlayer Browser Record Plugin extension for Firefox and update the RealPlayer if installed
- disable protected mode in Flash 11.3 and later
- disable hardware acceleration in the Flash plugin
I disabled the protected mode as instructed, and the problem has resolved itself.