Firefox auto update (via Help/About) stops responding when the "Restart Firefox" button is pressed
On both the Release and the Beta channels, when a new version is detected the Auto update downloads a file OK but when the RESTART FIREFOX button is pressed then nothing happens. Also the Firefox shortcut on the desktop also becomes dead. (The processing wheel actually spins for about 1 second) If the download file is saved separately from the auto update and applied by clicking this download .exe file then this works OK
I just had this today on the release channel going from 18.0 to 18.0.1 and last week on the beta channel going to 19.0 Beta 1
This is for 64 bit Win 7 latest version on a HP EliteBook 6730 laptop 4GB
Additional System Details
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.11.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.01
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.528
- Google Update
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.2.0 for Mozilla browsers
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Version 184.108.40.206
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.7
- Photosynth 2.110.317.1042
- Zylom Plugin
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
hello martin, maybe a security program is interfering in the update process, also see How to fix the Update Failed error message when updating Firefox.
Thanks Madperson. I temporarily disabled AVG 2013 and retried the auto-upgrade from 18.0 to 18.0.1 but it still didn't work (exactly as described above). I tried a full uninstall (except for customisation) and reinstall of Firefox 18.0 and that didnt work. I tried rebooting and that didn't work.
My XP version is fine (also runs AVG2013) - its just this Win7 environment causing problems.
I am still trying to resolve this issue without success. I have discovered that when rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking the auto update (tested 18.0 to 18.0.1) works fine so I deduce it must be one of the processes/services that only starts in a normal reboot that is causing this - but there are too many to check them one at a time !
I am using 64 bit Win 7 SP1 on a HP Elitebook 8730w
When it attempts a restart after attempted update in normal mode it leaves the directory below (which I think should get deleted after update)
This can be a problem with your security software (firewall, anti-virus) that blocks the updater.