unable to customize yahoo toolbar
I have the latest version of Firefox (18.0 I think?) as well as the Yahoo Toolbar add-on. I have not been able to edit the icons on the Yahoo Toolbar for a long time. When I click on the "setting" button, nothing happens, no drop down box appears. When I click on the "+" button, a new tab opens up that takes me to the yahoo toolbar editing page, however, everything is blank, nothing is displayed. No icons to choose from, and my existing icons are not shown either. I can't change the layout, add/remove, or do anything with it. I've tried to uninstall/reinstall both Firefox and Yahoo Toolbar, I've also tried to install these two on a computer that previously had no Firefox or Yahoo Toolbar. Nothing worked. I'm not sure if this is a Firefox or a Yahoo Toolbar problem, but it is sure annoying! Has anyone else experienced this? What's the fix if there is one? Thank you very much!
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.5
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.23
- Version 188.8.131.5212
- Google Update
- Amazon MP3 Downloader Plugin 1.0.17
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.2067
- QQ QuickLogin Helper
- 腾讯视频 version:8.42.6280.0
- npQQPhotoDrawEx Module
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- BrowserPlus -- Improve your browser! -- http://browserplus.yahoo.com/
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 220.127.116.11
- alibaba setup one click
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Welcome and thank you for posting on Mozilla Support. We value and appreciate you as a user.
This is the first time I am hearing about this issue today. What I can suggest as this moment is a clean reinstall to see if it helps or not.
Certain Firefox problems can be solved by performing a Clean reinstall. This means you remove Firefox and any leftover program files and then reinstall Firefox. Please follow these steps one by one:
- Download the latest Desktop version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org and save the setup file to your computer.
- After the download finishes, close all Firefox windows (click Exit from the Firefox or File menu) and confirm all upcoming messages.
- Now, uninstall Firefox by following the steps mentioned in the Uninstall Firefox article.
IMPORTANT: On Windows, the uninstaller has the option to remove your personal data and settings. Make sure that you do not check this option; otherwise all of your bookmarks, passwords, extensions, user customizations and other Firefox user profile data will be removed from your computer.
After uninstalling Firefox on Windows, delete the "Mozilla Firefox" program folder, located by default in one of these locations:
- (On 32-bit Windows) C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
- (On 64-bit Windows) C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
- Go to the Windows Start menu and click on "Computer".
- In the Explorer window that opens, double click Local Disk (C:) to open the C:\ drive.
- Find the "Program Files (x86)" folder or "Program Files" folder.
- On 32-bit Windows, double-click the Program Files folder to open it.
- On 64-bit Windows, you will see a "Program Files (x86)" folder AND a "Program Files" folder. Open the Program Files (x86) folder.
- Look for a Mozilla Firefox folder. If you find one, right-click it and select Delete and confirm that you want to move the folder to the Recycle Bin.
Now, go ahead and reinstall Firefox:
- Double-click the downloaded installation file and go through the steps of the installation wizard.
- Once the wizard is finished, choose to directly open Firefox after clicking the Finish button.
Did you know that Mozilla Support is helped out by volunteers? Be part of SUMO! http://mzl.la/OJtpch
Donate more than $30 and get a T-Shirt! https://donate.mozilla.org/page/contribute/joinmozilla
Please report back to see if this helped you!
Thank you very much for your prompt reply. No I haven't done a "clear" reinstall; however, I DID something that's the equivalent of that by installing Firefox and then the Yahoo Toolbar Add-on on another laptop, which previous has never had any Firefox product on it. The problem showed up immediately, nevertheless. So... if you want me to, I can try to do the clear reinstall on my laptop just to see, but I have a feeling that won't help any. :(
I've attached a couple of screen prints here.
Thank you for responding back. I would be glad to assist you further. Are you saying that this issue persist on another computer as well? Was the install on another computer a fresh install? If so, please let me know so I can raise this issue.
Yes you are absolutely right, I installed Firefox and Yahoo Toolbar Add-on on another computer, which had neither before (a fresh install as you'd call it?), and the same problem occurred right away as on my own computer.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help to clarify, Thank you!
I have raised this issue for further investigation.
This is a Yahoo Toolbar problem, so I'd suggest you raise this with their support team. They probably need to update their toolbar.
Thank you very much for your reply. Darn it... I was hoping it was something else... I wish Yahoo had such excellent support team as firefox. It would be nearly impossible for me to find a real person to talk to about this problem. :( But still, thanks for that information. If can reach them, I can only hope they will realize and fix this problem soon!
Thank you again!
I will step of out my way to assist you with this by contacting the appropriate department with Yahoo. Please note that this does not guarantee any updates to be pushed out faster.
Hi Feer56! You are SUPER! Thank you so much for that offer. If you have a shortcut way to reach them, that would be great! I'm not expecting a quick fix since after all, it IS yahoo, but if they become aware of the problem, then there is a chance down the road. :) Before I started the post here, I DID try to find their appropriate department to file the problem, but I couldn't even find a "contact" section, it's all kind of "Q&A" sections that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for, sigh...
Thank you guys! You are sure wonderful!
It seems like they don't provide email support for their toolbar :( BOO! I did find a phone # which is (866) 562-7219 for Yahoo Support. Don't pick option 2 as you won't get somebody speaking to you. I did option 4 then option 4 but at this hour they are closed so when they are open and I'm available I will give them a should and maybe you should too ;)
Hi feer56! Thank you for all the effort you've made and for providing me such detailed information! I should be able to call them tomorrow and try my luck! I will keep you posted and please let me know if you find out anything new too. Thanks again!
I am also having the same problem. I have done a clean reinstall and still the yahoo toolbar is acting stupid, the gear does nothing and I do not have a + in the bar at all. What is going on? Anyone know? I will give yahoo a call also. thanks everyone at least i know its not my computer.
Modified by CaptnDraiven
Hi CaptnDraiven! I'm so glad to know I'm not the only person frustrated with this problem!! Not that I wish everyone was frustrated like me, ya know, but at least I know I'm not alone, just like you. :) Let's keep each other posted!
This is what I discovered. I uninstalled FireFox 18 and then reloaded 16. Then I reloaded the yahoo toolbar made the changes I wanted, and then upgraded to 18. However, I cannot made any further changes to the toolbar. I have Windows 7, but I do not think that it has anything to do with it.
Modified by vmacu
Please contact yahoo, it's likely they need to update their toolbar.
I have what I need on my toolbar now. Mozilla has this as an add on for FireFox, so maybe they should contact yahoo support, or remove it from their list as an add on.
Mozilla is not responsible for third-party addons like Yahoo, so bugs they have aren't our responsibility.
Okay. Thanks. Good to know. I just wanted to help out. Thanks again.
Thanks vmacu for your help! That's an interesting "fix" to the problem. Let's hope we don't have to keep doing that though? How do you download older version of firefox by the way?
We do not suggest doing this, you can google "older firefox versions" to get 16. Yahoo unfortunately has not set out in releasing an update - yet there is no easy way of getting a hold of them.. We are not responsible for what vmacu has suggested to do - please proceed at your own risk. Thank you.