pop up message: Norton Confidential cannot protect you while you use this version of Firefox(18.0 current). Phishing Protection requires Firefox 1.5 or later(?
I am currently using Firefox version 18.0 yet when I open Firefox, I always get this pop up message: “This version of Firefox is not supported by Norton Confidential. You will not be protected while browsing the Web. Norton Confidential cannot protect you while you use this version of Firefox. Phishing Protection requires Firefox 1.5 or later.” Do you know what is causing this? This started when I updated to Firefox 16.0.2. Am I at risk?
Additional System Details
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- AmazonMP3DownloaderPlugin 1.0.16
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
You may find information on Norton's own forums about this.
I am not sure that any protection against phishing provided by Norton is going to be better than the protection that Firefox offers by default.
I can not recommend that you downgrade to an earlier unsupported and insecure version of Firefox,because that WILL increase the security risks.
- do not Install an older version of Firefox
See norton does not support firefox 15:
Same problem. Since I have no option but to rely on Norton Confidential, I'm giving up on Firefox. Will uninstall today due to wasted space on my drive.
stevenclewis Norton confidential is a old product that Norton killed off, which explains the out dated messages about Firefox 1.5. It has been replaced by Norton Identity Safe. https://identitysafe.norton.com/
If anything is wasted space, it is the old Norton Confidential. This is not something that Mozilla can fix as it is a issue with that outdated product.