My browsing history recently started showing multiple "visits" under the visit count upon a single log onto a website. show 300+ "visits" on one recorded visit
I have recently seen a spike in my data usage with Verizon. The only thing i can see that has changed is in my browsing history. I am going to the same sites i always do, but now, immediately upon hitting a site, the browsing history will show anywhere from 40 to over 300 "visits" to that site for the same date and time, even if i leave the site immediately. I believe this may be the cause for the sudden increase in data usage as it seems the browser is going out to the site hundreds of times without me telling it to.
I tried reinstalling firefox but the problem persists.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- McAfee MSC FF plugin DLL
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Virtual Earth 3D 3.00080829001 plugin for Mozilla
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:18.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/18.0
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
Do you have any bookmarked pages from that site if you enter the domain in the search field in the Bookmarks and History Manager (Library)?
- Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks
I hope safety in numbers, is as meaningful as having someone else agree with your findings. I haven't noticed a change in data usage, since I do not have it itemized, however, I would like to know how, in less than a minute, I can access my primary e-mail account 250 times. When I go to non e-mail web sites, my history indicates 1 (one) visit. Check it out!
If the URL is the same then Firefox sees this as visiting the same web page and only shows the most recent (latest) visit.
If the URL is different in e.g. appended GET data (?xxxx=xxxx) the Firefox sees this a different sites.
I'm not sure if this also happens if POST data is send via a possibly hidden form to reload the same page, but with different content, but chances are high that this is expected behavior.
POST data can usually be detected by refreshing a web page as Firefox will ask for confirmation to resend that POST data.