Restore Bookmarks from old FF back-up?
I updated my OS to Ubuntu 12.04 and now have the lastest Firefox (WindBlows crashed & had to). I have old FF back-ups of my bookmarks (bookmarks...json), which are paramount to my business. When I follow the restore instructions here I don't get any restore options in the history library. I'm not a techy, please help in the simplest terms.
Thank you for a great product and your help.
I FOUND IT!!! Apparently in Ubuntu the options in the top tool bar only appear when your cursor is on it. It's all there & I got my bookmarks restored. Thank you & sorry.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- The Totem 3.0.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- DivX Web Player version 18.104.22.168
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
You cannot restore your history from the bookmark backups, just the bookmarks. If you mean the bookmarks will not restore, perhaps the places.sqlite file in the profile is damaged.
Modified by finitarry
I miss spoke / typed. There is no import, restore or backup option in the library window. The following does not work / I don't have these options when I do what it says.
(Quoted for here) "Restoring from backups Caution: Restoring bookmarks from a backup will overwrite your current set of bookmarks with the ones in the backup file.
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Bookmarks menu and select Show All Bookmarks to open the Library window. In the Library window, click the Import and Backup button and then select Restore. Select the backup from which you want to restore: The dated entries are automatic backups. Choose File... lets you restore from a manual backup (see above). After choosing a backup, your bookmarks from that file will be restored. Close the Library window. "
I FOUND IT!!! Apparently in Ubuntu the options in the top tool bar only appear when your cursor is on it. It's all there & I got my bookmarks restored. Thank you & sorry.
At what stage do you run in to a problem
- open bookmarks library (Ctrl+Shift+O)
- import and Restore
- Choose File
- navigate to your .JSON backup files
- stop - have you made a backup of any existing bookmarks that are about to be overwriten - do so now, or continue
- click on to highlight and select the file, then click on the [open] button.
The posts crossed, glad you sorted it out.
Note with Ubuntu you still may use the Firefox Button, if you choose not to use the file menu toolbar.
The option to use the top toolbar that appears on the edge of the screen occurs when you use the default add global menu bar integration