Merging multiple profiles with ProfileManager (or other)
On Mac 10.7.5 with Firefox 15.0.1, can old recovered profiles (in particular, the browsing history/.places.sqlite files) be merged with the present profile via ProfileManager or another way and if so, how? Thank you!
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 10.1.4
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Reader Applicaiton Detector Plugin
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Picasa plugin.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
As you will be aware entries will drag and drop. It is even possible to drag and drop between libraries of different open Firefox versions. I think you may have mentioned in a previous post that you are manipulating thousands of bookmarks per month. Note also Bookmarks will export as HTML and HTML may be imported and appended. That is probably not what you need, but it does give the ability to move large chunks of bookmarks.
I have not tried it recently but I have previously used a SQL editor on the places.sqlite file that is probably what you need to investigate and consider. Check out for instance https://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/
I appreciate your getting back to me, and so fast.
Do you know if I don't need to worry about the old post at http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/928204?s=merge+profile&r=2&as=s, which it says, "You can easily corrupt places.sqlite when you move items from history to bookmarks with the SQLite Manager extension. They both use different fields and tables and you would also need to rebuild the indexes."?
Cor-el will be much more knowledgeable than me about the places.sqlite structure so you should take note of /questions/928204#answer-337546
As a workaround will syncing the different profiles with a merge option achieve what you need ?
Another solution may be just to keep the old profiles and use them when needed. It is relatively easy to run multiple copies of Firefox, and use separate profiles on each copy.
Are you just trying to sort out some old profiles or is this some ongoing work pattern where you are having history items you need to convert to bookmarks. Obviously you may open a history item then make it a bookmark, but that is not feasible for many thousands of items.