Why does typing search terms in the address bar take longer than typing in the google toolbar on the right?
I just got rid of Babylon search engine that was infesting the about:config files. I got rid of them using spyware removal program and I was wondering if it is normal that typing search terms in the address bar is supposed to take longer than typing in the google toolbar on the right of the address bar. It takes about 3 seconds longer.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.44.16
- Version 220.127.116.1117
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.0
- DivX Plus Web Player version 18.104.22.168
- Unity Player 3.4.2f3
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1240
- npmnqmp 989898989877
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0 Firefox/17.0
hello GC111, please also try resetting the search-engine used by the address bar. you can either do this manually by going into about:config & searching for the preference named keyword.url - right-click it and reset it to the default value. as an alternative you can install the search reset extension - it will automatically restore all search related entries to their default: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/searchreset/
It's slower even with other computers. The search engine with the address bar takes longer than the search bar on its right.
Are you typing one search term in the location bar or multiple search words?
If you mainly use one word searches then best is to use a (one letter) keyword search to avoid Firefox from trying to resolve it as a domain look up.
Of course multiple search term also can benefit from a keyword search.
You can easily add a keyword via Manage search engines (stored in search.sqlite) or create a bookmark (stored in places.sqlite).