Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Solved Archived

Click-To-Play Enable/Disable menu ?

Christoffer Aasted

Is there a menu for toggling Click-To-Play ?

I can't find it in Tools > Options

I enabled it through about:config plugins.click_to_play

But how would you explain this to a normal user, why doesn't it have it's own place in the settings dialog ? For example under the "Content"-tab ..

Is there a menu for toggling Click-To-Play ? I can't find it in '''Tools > Options''' I enabled it through '''about:config''' '''plugins.click_to_play''' But how would you explain this to a normal user, why doesn't it have it's own place in the settings dialog ? For example under the "Content"-tab ..

Modified by Christoffer Aasted

All Replies (6)

Chosen Solution

Basically the developers are loathe to create a menu item for a simple pref such as that, which usually needs to be turned on just once.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=plugins.click_to_play

Sorry, I didn't see that mentioned in the "click to play" Bugs list. If you think that feature is important, file a RFE (request for enhancement) Bug.

If you do decide to file a Bug report, read this first - to give your request the best chance of being approved.
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Bug_writing_guidelines

Well I would say it's nice to have the feature, but it's a shame the general users don't have this option through the GUI through a simple checkbox, there's plenty of room in the 'Content'-tab of the Options dialog ..

I wouldn't doubt that an addon developer comes up with an extension to toggle that pref on and off - fairly quick.

Another option would be the Custom Buttons extension, to make a button for that feature.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/custom-buttons/

User created custom buttons are discussed here.
http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=e38e7f6b4ef490de16f2e1d1215e4adc

Sure, I know. But I think since this was one of the more awaited features that it would be natural to have it's own checkbox like the "Do-not-track" option.

Modified by Christoffer Aasted

See also:

Modified by cor-el

Thank you very much cor-el.