This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox suddenly crashing every time I open it
Without any changes to my computer, as far as I can tell, I lost the ability to open Firefox without it crashing. I've tried rebooting, re-installing, Safe Mode, new profile...nothing seems to work.
I removed some corrupt fonts and upgraded my OS. Problem resolved.Read this answer in context 👍 0
All Replies (8)
Create a new profile as a test to check if your current profile is causing the problems.
See "Basic Troubleshooting: Make a new profile":
There may be extensions and plugins installed by default in a new profile, so check that in "Tools > Add-ons > Extensions & Plugins" in case there are still problems.
If that new profile works then you can transfer some files from the old profile to that new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.
If you have submitted Breakpad crash reports then post the IDs of one or more Breakpad crash reports (bp-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx). You can find the IDs of the submitted crash reports on the about:crashes page. You can open the about:crashes page via the location bar, like you open a website.
I've tried all of that, but Firefox will not stay open even with a new profile in safe mode.
You need to post a Crash Report ID (it will look like "bp-xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-....") to get help fixing your crashes. You can find the Crash ID in the text files that are stored in the ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Crash Reports/submitted folder.
See the Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes article for more information.
Modified by AliceWyman
Here are several of about 20 I submitted yesterday.
Modified by brix11
Here are links to the crash report IDs you listed:
- https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-71682540-7452-45ce-9a84-3ad172120314 Firefox 10.0.2 Crash Report [@ TSFNTFont::GetFormat() const ]
- https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-420fd45b-0f6d-4f6f-8d55-20c5c2120314 Firefox 11.0 Crash Report [@ libFontParser.dylib@0x2593 ]
- https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-a53d1e2a-87dc-49f0-95be-8301d2120314 Firefox 11.0 Crash Report [@ libFontParser.dylib@0x2593 ]
- https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-2e16db2b-6013-450f-8569-add072120315 Firefox 11.0 Crash Report [@ libFontParser.dylib@0xc693 ]
- https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-c488e512-0905-4fa0-89ca-44af72120315 Firefox 11.0 Crash Report [@ libFontParser.dylib@0xbb1d ]
The reports all show the crashing thread libFontParser.dylib but no related bugs are listed.
I did find a bug report with a google search that wasn't too helpful: (I'll keep on searching.)
- https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=628316 Bug 628316 - Crash [@ libFontParser.dylib@0x17e79 ]
Hopefully someone more familiar with Mac issues will see this and have a suggestion.
Modified by AliceWyman
I found these and other threads on the apple discussion forums searching on libFontParser, in case it helps:
I removed some corrupt fonts and upgraded my OS. Problem resolved.
Thanks for reporting the solution was removing some corrupt fonts and upgrading your OS.