On YouTube and other Flash based video sites, Flash drops a huge number of frames, making playback very choppy even with the smallest resolution (360, 480). This doesn't happen with IE, not even while using the highest resolution (720, 1080) available. I know my computer is more than powerful enough to play back full HD, even without hardware acceleration. Is this Firefox's fault or Flashes and is there anything I can do about it?
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Google Update
- DivX Plus Web Player version 126.96.36.199
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 8.3.1
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_27 for Mozilla browsers
- Winamp Application Detector
- DivX VOD Helper Plug-in
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer DLL
- Delivery Network Acceleration by BitTorrent™
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- NPCIG 184.108.40.206
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:10.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.1
AMD Phenom X3 8450
ATI 6770 1GB DDR5
Windows Vista SP2
Have you looked at our Youtube video troubleshooting section? There is a lot of great content in there.
Hopefully this helps!
Hello Matt, thank you for your reply. :-)
Yes I've already looked at the trouble shooting section. The problem persists in safe mode with hardware acceleration either enabled or disabled and my antivirus disabled. CPU utilization is minimal and fluctuating between 8-16 percent. GPU utilization is virtually non-existent. An easy Gig of RAM is free. There's no HDD activity, or any other activity that should cause problems.
FireFox browser R11.0 + Adobe Flash player version 10,3,183,5 installed YouTube video stream playback for all videos: observing quick stop-jerk behavior every 4 seconds on average during streaming playback.
IE browser R9.0.8112.16421 + Adobe Flash player version 11,1,102,55 installed YouTube video stream playback for all videos: observing smooth behavior during streaming playback - no jerk behavior.
While playing videos, I have noticed a choppy audio playback/echo since yesterday.
When web pages have embedded video, the video gets broken up when scrolling up or down the page. Really annoying, IE does not do it.
Try to disable hardware acceleration.
- Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Browsing: "Use hardware acceleration when available"