How do I manage cookies?
First, I just installed Firefox and it only lists 4 cookies, all new. But assuming all my other cookies are still on my PC, and I want to delete old, unnecessary ones, how is the best way to do that? They're so cryptic I don't know who put them there or why, but I hate it when they are erased and I have to introduce myself all over again. Is there a way to view how often the cookie is accessed and the author? I want to keep certain ones I use all the time.
Additional System Details
- Plug-in for Workspace Webmail
- Motive Plugin for Mozilla Browsers
- Plug-in for Starfield utilities
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.2
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:10.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0.2
Open Containing Folder
XFINITY Constant Guard Protection Suite
Java Quick Starter
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
Symantec Intrusion Prevention
10.1.0.68 - 1
Workspace Email Zoom
ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO
Adapter RAM (GPU #2)
Adapter Drivers (GPU #2)
Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 10.6 or newer.
GPU Accelerated Windows
0/3. Blocked for your graphics driver version. Try updating your graphics driver to version 10.6 or newer.
Firefox stores the cookies in one database file called cookies.sqlite and not as separate files like a IE does and that can use a lot of disk space if you have many (same for bookmarks/favorites; places.sqlite).
Rename (or delete) cookies.sqlite (cookies.sqlite.old) and delete other present cookie files like cookies.sqlite-journal in the Firefox Profile Folder to remove all Firefox cookies.
You can remove the webappsstore.sqlite file as well to clear the DOM storage ('super' cookies).
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Open Containing Folder
Thanks, but I don't have a problem with "Firefox cookies" because it has only been installed for an hour. What I want to do is go through all the cookies on my computer and delete the ones I don't use.
FF said I successfully imported my IE cookies, so I guess you're correct that I can't see them individually. How can I selectively delete old ones, and how do I know who put them there and if I'll miss them?
Modified by IMissLiberty
You can inspect all Firefox cookies in the Cookie manager. Firefox doesn't manage the IE cookies, so to remove those you need to do that in IE via the internet settings.
- Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
Okay, but FF imported all the IE cookies, so can I manage them there?