FF9 - can we disable tabs yet?
I don't want tabs in my browsing. None. I'm sticking with FF3.6 & Tab Killer until someone solves this problem - and I reckon there are a lot of other people sticking with FF3.6 for the same reason.
I want new pages to open in new windows so that the close button top right works EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS THE REST OF WINDOWS. I want Alt-Tab to switch between my open web pages EXACTLY THE SAME WAY AS THE REST OF WINDOWS. I don't want to waste screen real estate on a Tab Bar I've got no interest in using. I don't want right-click menus infected with tab options, especially when you put the Open in New Tab option in the wrong place back in FF4.
And yes, I AM SHOUTING. This should have been made a valid option years ago.
If you're unwilling to build it in as a standard feature, at least build us an add-on to do the job...
...and you wonder why so many people stick with FF3.6...
Hmm... actually, a bit more digging has come up with an extension called "Menu Editor". This will let you hide all the menu items like "Open Link in New Tab", which some idiot put in the wrong place way back in FF4. You may still get some tabs from automatic processes, but this deals with the main irriation.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- IE Tab 2 Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.0"
- Winamp Application Detector
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_29 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20111212 Firefox/3.6.25
Sorry, the Tab Killer add-on is the only add-on that I ever saw which killed the tab feature in Firefox. The author of that add-on seems to have discontinued that project, and since parts of that add-on are copyright that add-on can't just be "adopted" by someone else and updated for Firefox 4+ versions (if someone would even be interested in doing that).
Personally, I don't wonder why some people prefer Firefox 3.6 (or even older versions) as I use Firefox 3.6 part of each day and Firefox 220.127.116.11 for other websites each day, too. But then again, one of the reasons that I switched to Firefox back in 2002 was for the tabbed browsing feature - the other browsers available at that time didn't have it.
Hmm... actually, a bit more digging has come up with an extension called "Menu Editor". This will let you hide all the menu items like "Open Link in New Tab", which some idiot put in the wrong place way back in FF4. You may still get some tabs from automatic processes, but this deals with the main irriation.