Firefox setup fails with WIN ME
I have tried to install Firefox 3.5 and 8 on a Win ME system - both fail with "Setup causes an error in Setup". Firefox 2 was okay. Messages from Firefox suggest an update is necessary,but I can't because setup does not work. I also cannnot provide FEEDBACK - because it suggests I need "The latest version" which I cannot install "simply" as it suggests on the feedback page. Is this a probplem with ME - as other browsers like IE and Chrome latest versions do not seem to like it either....am I stuck with old versions?
Additional System Details
- Default Plug-in
- MetaStream 3 Plugin r4
- Shockwave Flash 9.0 r262
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 6.00 for Netscape
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- Npdsplay dll
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-GB; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/184.108.40.206
The last version of Firefox compatible with Windows ME is Firefox 220.127.116.11 which is no longer supported or updated and may contain security and stability issues:
- System requirements Firefox 2: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/2.0/system-requirements/index.html
- Firefox 18.104.22.168 Download for Windows (choose interface language): ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/22.214.171.124/win32/
All subsequent versions require a minimum of Windows 2000:
- System requirements: Firefox 3 Firefox 3.5 Firefox 3.6 Firefox 4 ßFirefox 5 Firefox 6 Firefox 7 Firefox 8
If this reply solves your problem, please click "Solved It" next to this reply when signed-in to the forum.
The reply was thorough and pretty much confirmed what I thought! It is a pity though that updates leave behind machines which for one reason or another are still needed with old OS. I still use Win98 because XP has MIDI latency problems,and I support old OS because I teach IT and have all old OS operational.
You can try KernelEx to get Firefox 3+ versions to work, but they might be very slow with an old PC of less than 750Mhz and limited RAM.