This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
is there a way? When I type something in the search engine feature, is there a way that when I press enter to search, it comes up in a new tab, rather on the page I am using?
When I type something in the search engine feature, is there a way that when I press enter to search, it comes up in a new tab, rather on the page I am using?
All Replies (2)
Yes, and I presume you mean both the search engine results, and the pages opened from the results.
Without making any changes you could always use Alt+Enter once you typed something into the search bar, or the location bar so that it would appear in a new tab. From the search results page you could always use "Ctrl+click" or "Ctrl+Shift+click" to open link n a new tab
- Firefox and other Browser Keyboard Shortcuts (Comparison Table)
- Keyboard shortcuts | How to | Firefox Help
The configuration entries of interest:
- browser.search.openintab user set boolean true
- browser.tabs.openinnewtab user set boolean true
- http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries (I use keyword shortcut of :"aboutconfig:" )
- [x] Open search results in a new browser window.
- By default Google opens links in its search results to the same new tab, but I believe that the configuration changes supplied also fix that because I no longer have to use the keyboard shortcuts to override.
Tools ("Alt+T") > Options > Tabs
- [x] Open new windows in a new tab instead
Modified by David McRitchie
Excellent, thank you very much. Works just how I wanted it :)