When I try to install new firefox by dragging it into applications, I get a message that I don't have permissioin to access some of the items. What doers this mean and how can I get past it?
First it tells me an older item exists then it tells me I don't have permission.
Additional System Details
Every time Firefox opened
This started when...
When I tried to install 10.4.0
- Gecko default plugin
- Runs Java applets using the latest installed versions of Java. For more information: Java Embedding Plugin. Run version test: Java Information.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- Java Plug-In 2 for NPAPI Browsers
- Version 220.127.116.119
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.4
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Contribute Plug-inInbrowser Editor Plug-in
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Office Live Update v1.0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20091201 Firefox/3.5.6
If you have problems with updating or with the permissions then easiest is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox program and save the DMG file to the desktop
- Firefox 4.0.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html
- Firefox 3.6.x: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html
- Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re-)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data.
Followed your instructions, and it worked! Thank you.