How do I save my bookmarks prior to uninstalling and resinstalling Firefox?
Is there a way to save the Bookmarks before I uninstall and reinstall Firefox? I am trying to clear out the Add-Ons box and uninstalling Firefox and NOT saving my settings seems likely to be the only way.
But it says I will lose my Bookmarks if I do this. So how do I save them first and how can I put them back in later?
Additional System Details
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Winamp Application Detector
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.2"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_23 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20110303 Firefox/3.6.15 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox and saving my settings. This didn't work for clearing out the Add-Ons box but I didn't lose my Bookmarks, at least. Now I need to try it the other way-by not saving my settings. So I must save my Bookmarks first. How?
It is easy to backup the bookmarks and I would recommend doing it on a regular basis anyway. There are also utilities that will help you do that see
- Backing up and restoring bookmarks
- See Lost Bookmarks and as a cautionary tale with a happy ending the thread - thread mentions backup utilities
Note the not saving settings will delete all the profile type data from ALL versions of Firefox installed on that computer. I am not trying to dissuade you from doing a clean re-install, only advising caution, especially if there are passwords etc stored by firefox, or if you have more than one version installed
Have you seen Cannot remove an add-on (extension or theme) and is any specific add-on causing problems, or being problematic when you attempt to remove it?
Well, I saw it (the bookmark folder) and where it had apparently saved several days worth of bookmark backups with a .JSON extension but I did not actually click on it to see what it contained.
It looks like copies of bookmark backups are perhaps being saved? I guess that's what is happening, right?
Then I got to doing something else and when tried to find my way back to that bookmark backup folder, I couldn't remember how I got to it in the first place!
Now I can't find it. Can you tell me where it resides on my computer and how to get to it? Thanks.