How do I transfer my firefox bookmarks from an external harddrive to my new windows 7 computer?
I backed up my old pc on an external hard drive. Now, I have a new computer with Windows 7 and need to transfer/import my bookmarks from the external hard drive to my new computer. I found my bookmarks file on the external hard drive, I think, but don't know where to put the file on the new pc.
Additional System Details
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
The user data is stored in the profile folder. You can copy more than just the bookmarks by copying the relevant files from your backup into your current profile folder, for details see Profile backup - MozillaZine Knowledge Base or Recovering important data from an old profile.
The bookmarks file is called places.sqlite, that file also contains browsing history. You can copy that file from the backup and place it in your current profile folder to restore the bookmarks and history.
An alternative approach if you just want the bookmarks, inside the backup of your profile folder there will be a folder called bookmarkbackups. Inside that folder are files with names in the format bookmarks-yyyy-mm-dd.json, those are backups of your bookmarks. You can import one of those files into your current version of Firefox by following the restore procedure in the Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer article, using the "Choose file" option.
Just to clarify the location, in Windows 7 it is:
Best bet for new users is to click on Computer, then the icon of your main drive (usually C:) and then click through the folders as shown above.
Hope this helps.
I don't see the file places.sqlite under Mozilla Firefox folder
Not located in the Mozilla Firefox folder.