I want to remove the yahoo search bar from Firefox and use the google search bar.
I did go to about:config and made the keyword.URL to default (Google). It is not getting affected. Please help me to know how can I set it in Firefox.
I need to remove yahoo search from my Firefox and use the Google search. I did the following steps for the same. about:config, searched keyword:URL and reset to default.
But the change is not getting affected. Pls help
Modified by Noah_SUMO
Additional System Details
Not sure how often
This started when...
few days back
- Version 18.104.22.168
- Google Talk Plugin Video Accelerator version:0.1.43.3
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12
This question appears to be the same as this one: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/665329#answer-196910 & see my reply there, if that helps.
I got the Yahoo search bar without realizing it while downloading a free program. There should be a law against companies loading things such as this without express permission. Anyway, I was able to remove it from Firefox as follows: In the Yahoo search bar at the top right of your page there is a down arrow. Click on it and you will see a short list of choices and one is "Manage Search Engines". Click on that and remove Yahoo (and any others you don't want) from the list. I removed all except Google and now my Google search bar is back. Yay! Hope this works for you, too!
Work around that I have used (my machine is running Windows XP SP3 might work on other systems as well):
1) Ensure Firefox is closed, if necessary read this in another browser
2. Open the Firefox directory on the hard drive (typically: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox)
3. Go into the 'searchplugins' folder
4. Delete the file named 'yahoo.xml'
5. Immediately restart your machine