HOW DO I TURN OFF TABBED BROWSING?
the subject says it all... I hate tabbed browsing. HATE IT. I'm guessing that there's no way to turn tabbed browsing OFF.... Since I've been searching ever since I made the mistake of upgrading. (held off upgrading after someone decided the refresh button wasn't needed either) EVEN IE ALLOWS me to turn off those STUPID tabs... soooooo PLEASE tell me if there's a way to make Firefox believe there is no such thing as a TAB.
Additional System Details
- Free Realms Installer
- Runs 3-D games and interactive applets
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.1242
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Unity Player 2.6.1f3
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)
You can do that with the Tab Killer add-on, available from the authors site - http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_tabkiller.html.en
THANK YOU!!!! (and no. caps lock is not on :) ) I kept finding references to that add on.. but kept getting 'not available for V 3.6.1' ... this fixed the problem completely. thanks again!
Unfortunately, Firefox 4 renders Tab Killer incompatible, so we're now back to square one on this issue. We shouldn't need an add-on for this to begin with, this should be a simple check box in the standard options as is the case with MSIE.
You press and hold the Shift key while left clicking a link to open the link in a new window.
You don't say why you hate tabbed browsing.
Here's why I do:
1. I can't see in the taskbar what I've got open.
2. Even if I remember what I've got open, and which Firefox window it's in, it takes a click in the taskbar, then probably a click in the tab bar to get to it.
3. It's a pain in the neck to be careful to click on "Open in new window" or "Open in new tab", depending on which I want.
This is just one of the reasons I'm going back to 3.6.
Modified by ral
I uninstalled Firefox 4 and re-installed 3.6 specifically so I could use Tabkiller.
Please don't suggest that I need to explain why I don't want tabs in my browser. That would be like telling me I need to explain why I don't care for liver. I prefer to have separate browser windows open when I need them. I am much happier working this way. That should be sufficient.
I am seeing many applications want to move away from menus that make sense into graphical interfaces that need to be learned all over again. I am seeing many applications (including Windows 7) where applications and tools are moved for the apparent sake of requiring multiple clicks of the mouse where previously one or two were needed before. I see this as making the interfaces unnecessarily complex and time consuming to use.
Simplify, simplify, simplify. This is not accomplished by revising interfaces that work. It is accomplished by making classic interfaces available alongside enhancements. I don't know of anyone who has thrown out their stovetop and oven because they own a microwave oven. Does anyone else see the similarity?
It is BLEEPING RIDICULOUS that I need a stupid ADD ON to turn off the Tabs. I'm just going to avoid this horrible program. Who needs it? Plenty of other browsers out there. They've annoyed me for the last time!
- -( Tab killer is not compatible with the version I have... :-( Oh well, screw it. Bye, Firefox - if you ever allow me to get rid of the stupid tabs again, let me know. Otherwise, I'm out.