My default search engine keeps changing to ASK even though I keep removing it and resetting it to Google
In the search box and the top right, the little search icon keeps changing to ASK. I've clicked on the dropdown, gone to "manage search engines" and there are only 2 search engines on there: Ask and Google.
I've clicked on ASK and then on remove so many times, but the next thing I know, a couple of minutes later, it's gone back to ASK again! It's really anonying!!!
Additional System Details
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 126.96.36.199
- 20-20 3D Viewer - Mozilla Plug-In v188.8.131.52
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- Contribute Firefox IBE Plugin DLL
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Picasa plugin
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 184.108.40.206
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0C)
After checking I found an add-in called Search Settings Plugin v.1.2.3. After disabling it Firefox starts fine without changing my selected search engine. Don't know where or how this got installed in Firefox, but it's not something I want. Problem fixed.
The "Search Settings Plugin" extension may have been added by another extension like PDF Creator.
OK, in simple language where do you find these plug-ins please?