How can I force close a stubburn tab would not let me close it or change to another web-page?
A bad coded web page kept on catching my attempts to close it. And I was stucked in a never ending loop of trying to close it or Firefox down with no possibileties to close. Other tabs were no problems. And I did have more than one open tab when I tried. I know I cant close the last tab. But it must be possible to force close this kind of bad written and bugging web-pages. I was using a laptop with Ubuntu Linux 10.04 and the latest 3.6 version of Firefox.
Additional System Details
Just once or twice
This started when...
Yesterday while browsing around.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.4"
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r82
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; sv-SE; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
I tried to solve this by shutting down Linux but when I started Firefox up after the reboot I was still on this Tab.
Then I choosed to work offline. That generated a pagefault since the web-page could not access internet. From that I could close the tab. Close Firefox and reboot my Ubuntu Linux again.
This time it started with only my home-page tab.
Temporarily disable java script then close the tab
Mac OSX: Firefox next to the Apple button on top Firefox/preferences/content = un-check "enable java script"
Windows: tools/options/content = disable java script