Auto-erase downloads when I exit Firefox.
How do I Auto-erase downloads when I exit Firefox? I don't want downloaded files accumulating endlessly on my hard drive - but I do want to keep history and autocomplete info.
Additional System Details
- Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.3"
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 220.127.116.11
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
This usability issue is hopefully going to be addressed in Firefox 4. In the meantime, you can go into Tools > Options > Privacy > Firefox will:Use custom settings for history and untick Remember download history. Hopefully that's all you need?
In any case, downloads will still be stored in your computer if you don't delete them. Download history is independent from the actual downloaded files, so please be mindful of that.
With all due respect to my colleague Morbus, the way I read the OP's request is that he wants to automatically delete the actual file that he downloaded through Firefox when he closes Firefox, while retaining the download history of those files. That is diametrically opposed to how Firefox has always worked, and I haven't seen any mention of Firefox 4.0 having a new feature such as that.
BTW, 'autocomplete' data like "form and search history" is stored in a different file than "download history" data is stored,and there are separate preferences for toggling the saving of each (Options > Privacy) and the deleting of each in Clear Recent History./
Modified by the-edmeister