Can /temp/plugtmp and plugtmp-1 thru plugtmp-14 be safely removed?
In my user /temp directory, 15 plugtmp directories reside. Can /temp/plugtmp and plugtmp-1 thru plugtmp-14 be safely removed? and why are these directories created? I've found several sites indicating Firefox creates these, however, I have found only one item on the Mozilla site: MFSA 2005-28 Unsafe /tmp/plugtmp directory exploitable to erase user's files Severity: Critical (local) Risk: High (on shared machine, low otherwise) Products: Firefox, Mozilla Suite Fixed in: Firefox 1.0.1. I have not found a suggested course of action. I run Firefox v3.0.13.
== Oldest directory is 9/2/2009, newest is 6/8/2010
Additional System Details
- -Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Garmin Communicator Plug-In 220.127.116.11
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_16 for Mozilla browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:18.104.22.168) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.2.1
Adds ClickOnce support and the ability to report installed .NET Framework versions to the web server.
Avira reports to me that it's a virus at C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Local\Temp\plugtmp-58\plugin-_vsuz.pdf
I have been constantly getting this virus alert for at least a week now. What's going on with this folder and file?