Can I get links to automatically open in a new tab just by clicking on them?
I've selected the option to: "Open new windows in new tab instead" from the options menu. For some time this seemed to open any link I clicked on in a new tab. For some reason this feature is no longer working and new links clicked on simply overwrites the current tab with the new page. I liked the feature of having links open automatically in new tabs. The option remains selected but it does not seem to be working.
Every time Firefox opened
Additional System Details
- -Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 102
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- Picasa plugin
- Java Plug-in 1.6.0_07 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.0
Standard Firefox behavior is left-click will open a link or bookmark in the currently selected tab, over-writing whatever is in that tab. The definition for the option "Open new windows in a new tab instead" is:
Open new windows in a new tab instead: This option preference controls whether ~~red:links from other applications~~ ~~blue:or from web pages which request to open them in new windows~~ are opened in a new window or a new tab in the most recent window.
A middle-click on a link or bookmark will open in a new tab (middle-click = press the scroll wheel). Ctrl+left-click will also open a link or bookmark in a new tab.
Other Issues: to correct security/stability issues
Update Java: your ver. 1.6.0.07; current ver. 188.8.131.52 (important security update 04-15-2010) (Firefox 3.6 and above requires Java 184.108.40.206 and above; see: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Java-related+issues#Java_does_not_work_in_Firefox_3_6 ) (Windows users: Do the manual update; very easy.) See: Updating Java Do the update with Firefox closed.
I have done exactly what it says in the instruction. The box Open new tabs instead of new windows is checked. See the enclosed screenshot-
It still persists in overriding the old window instead.
This is extremely irritating! I know I can open in a new tab by rightclicking, but I don't want to have to do that, I want it to be automatic.
Especiallay when the box that is supposed to make it is checked. It obviously doesn't work as intended
When you posted a reply to this thread recently, you were replying to a question that was asked and answered over two years ago.
This thread was locked because of a new feature just added to the Support Forum, that automatically locks a thread if it was originally created over 180 days in the past.
If you need help with Firefox you should ask a new question. You can use this link as a starting point: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/new