Firefox will not start after upgrade from 3.0.1
I have Firefox 3.0.1. I would like to upgrade to 3.6, but if I try to upgrade to any version, I cannot open Firefox. It is not like the other "Will not start" problems, because in the Task Manager, firefox.exe pops up, then goes away instantly. I have tried using Safe Mode, doing a clean install by uninstalling Firefox and my profile, cleaning the registry, then using CCleaner, then trying to reinstall, but the problem persists. Sometimes firefox.exe doesn't even show up in the Task Manager. I also cannot use any version of IE(even if I wanted to), Safari or Chrome. They all have the same results. I suspect that it is not a problem with Firefox, but with my computer, but I don't what is wrong. Can anyone help me?
Every time Firefox opened
== I upgraded from 3.0.1
Thank you for your hint about the program killer. There was a program on my computer called Naomi Filter. I never knew what it was until I saw this and looked it up. It turned out to be an internet filter that automatically closes the browser. I don't know why 3.0.1 worked, but I deleted it and Firefox and Chrome work perfectly now. Thank you!Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- -npmnqmp 989898989877
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r45
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 11.5
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Rhapsody Player Engine Plugin
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_20 for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/2008070208 Firefox/3.0.1 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
BetterSearch, Foxdie for Firefox, Full Fullscreen, gleeBox, Hide CaptionTitleBarPlus, Java Quick Starter, Move Media Player, YMail Notifier, Fission, FastestFox, , FireDownload, FireGestures Download StatusBar
Sounds like something is killing off your browsers before they can start. I really have no idea why Firefox 3.0.1 is working somehow, though.
Do a malware check with a few different programs, you need to use all, because not all programs detect the same malware.
For each of these, make sure they are updated after installing, and run a full scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
Thank you for your hint about the program killer. There was a program on my computer called Naomi Filter. I never knew what it was until I saw this and looked it up. It turned out to be an internet filter that automatically closes the browser. I don't know why 3.0.1 worked, but I deleted it and Firefox and Chrome work perfectly now. Thank you!