How to delete bookmarks imported from Internet Explorer when the regular delete functions fails
Bookmarks were imported from Internet Explorer 8. I want to delete the entire folder but some of the bookmarks refuse to be deleted. There is no feedback from the delete process (right-click, Delete)--the bookmark just doesn't go away. Is there any way to delete these stubborn bookmarks other than uninstalling Firefox and re-installing?
Additional System Details
- -NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Default Plug-in
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.3.2"
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_19 for Mozilla browsers
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
I found the answer. It deletes all bookmarks but I didn't care at this point.
Find the location of your places preferences and reset them as directed.
Then, follow the steps under Places database file to delete these files (I suppose you could just rename them but I didn't try it):
places.sqlite file and, if it exists, places.sqlite-journal (Optional) Also delete the file localstore.rdf
I was then able to restart Firefox and deleted the imported bookmark folders.