Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Are there plans to reintroduce the gaps/islands part of the Nova redesign, perhaps as an option?

Philippe Lepaffe

To be clear, I am talking about the gaps between UI elements that were present in early mockups as well as in initial versions of Nova before it was enabled by default in 157. I understand they were a controversial design element with many users disliking them for a variety of reasons (preferences, space utilization, ...) but in my view they were really one of the things that made Nova click and I was disappointed when they were axed before the final release.

My question is whether the Firefox team has made a final decision to remove them permanently and completely, or if there is ongoing discussion/work around reintroducing them, perhaps as something that can be enabled or disabled depending on each individual user's preference?

To be clear, I am talking about the gaps between UI elements that were present in early mockups as well as in initial versions of Nova before it was enabled by default in 157. I understand they were a controversial design element with many users disliking them for a variety of reasons (preferences, space utilization, ...) but in my view they were really one of the things that made Nova ''click'' and I was disappointed when they were axed before the final release. My question is whether the Firefox team has made a final decision to remove them permanently and completely, or if there is ongoing discussion/work around reintroducing them, perhaps as something that can be enabled or disabled depending on each individual user's preference?

All Replies (1)

Hello,

Those UI elements have been removed permanently to optimize screen space and reduce visual clutter.

If you want it back, you have to create a firefox shortcut then use the --tab-block-margin flag or similar flags along with a .css file.

Modified by dessertdish

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.