Headers (From/Subject/To) not visible in message pane since 78.0 update
In the list view everything still looks fine, but selecting a single message, in the message pane most of the lines are blank (though it shows "1 more" on the From line, another "1 more" way over on the right edge of the window, possibly on the "To" line). One message appears to have been grabbed cleanly for the Subject line after going through 400+ new messages, but now it just keeps using that Subject for every email I select.
This is so flagrant I can't imagine how this could have gone out this way. I did flip through the release notes in case it's just some poorly documented change but nothing I see there could explain this behavior.
This isn't acceptable; I need to be able to tell what email I'm looking at and who else was on the thread or I can't use Thunderbird. Please don't make me go back to Outlook.
Also at the moment both address book and just literally sending myself an email both don't work. Is 78.0 even remotely usable?
All Replies (10)
We haven't seen this widely reported in many months with thousands of users testing, so please before you do anything, copy your entire profile to a backup location - so we have something for develops to check. Also, please post screen shot(s) of what you are seeing.
Then please do Help > restart with addons disabled > at the restart pick the checkbox for "Reset toolbars and controls" > Make changes and restart
Does that help?
I also forgot to ask, when you start with the broken Thunderbird profile, what do you see in Tools > error console? Please post a screen shot. Thanks
Wayne--I saw someone else had the problem that the special restart fixed so I did try that--none of my problems seem to have changed in the slightest.
So I'm not entirely clear at the moment--should I be trying to revert to 68 (including possibly switching to British English per a separate response??) and figure out how to make that work again, or should I be doing something like renaming my data folder, doing a fresh install and then trying to port over all my email contents, certs, etc., at this point?
Working in Outlook exclusively for very long is going to make my job much harder so I'd like to pick a direction and move in it to hopefully get my Tbird operating usably again soon.
I just looked at the bug report for this issue this morning - I am hoping we can have a download for you to test in the next few hours.
Anyone here using linux?
Fixed for you in 78.1.0 ?
I tried updating (78.0.1 not 78.1.0 presumably?) a couple of days ago and saw no change. I then tried seeing if I could get it working anyway from some of the hints dropped across various questions but just gave up in the end, not sure how to get things back to as close to fully restored as possible. And I wasn't clear if 78.0.1 was even supposed to fix this so I wasn't sure if the failure was a surprise or not.
I just hope all the fiddling around while things are broken doesn't end up with a state of affairs that leaves me messed up in the end. I've got so many backup copies of my profile(s) now I'm going to start losing track of what is the latest, unexperimented-on copy of my broken profile for a hopeful upgrade to even be able to fix.
But I've been extremely busy this last 2 weeks which is part of why I was so upset and angry that Thunderbird is broken because Outlook is terrible and I don't have time to fight with Thunderbird to figure out how to restore it from hints and incomplete suggestions. An update that makes everything click back together would be awesome. I just hope I know which profile to use to run it on.
I just saw 78.1.0 now and went ahead and installed that. It looks like it may correct most of the problems I had with 78.0.0.
Selected emails appear to be showing all the proper header values now; email drafts can now be sent; address books are visible.
One thing that still doesn't seem to be quite right is in my address book I'm not getting any search results vs a secure LDAP directory. I type my name, hit enter, get prompted to authenticate, never any results.
I've been having issues with getting certificates via LDAP for encrypting email for years now but a straightforward address book search, giving me results I can open a new email to, has worked well enough until now.