Was auto-upgraded to 68.3.1 and all my information disappeared
Hi, I was auto-updated to 68.3.1, and when I restarted it, all my information had disappeared, and it asked me to create a new email account. My profile is on another drive (the G drive), and I've always pointed the profiles.ini file to that profile (and have never had a problem modifying the ini file before this). However with this new version, it just shows a blank screen and asks me to create a new email account. After searching, I've tried a few different fixes with no luck:
downgrading to 60.9.1 upgrading to the new beta
I've been using Thunderbird for 10+ years, so lots of email stored on the profile. Any help would be much appreciated.
Best REgards, Neal
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:72.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/72.0
I have the same issue which I outlined in another topic on this forum that I started. You can check there for what I tried as it's a bit of an explanation. In short, reverting to 60.9.1 is the only effective solution and to stop automatic updates until this issue is fixed. If you have your profile backed up, just reinstall the old version and copy your old profile to the profile folder then adjust the profiles.ini file accordingly.
Hopefully someone can tell us what thunderbird profile files, in addition to profile.js, need to be copied over to the new updated version to give us our saved emails and folders back.
Hi Tyomak, Thank you for your response.
Downgrading to 60.9.1 does not work for me. It still shows everything blank when I start that version of thunderbird (60.9.1). When I check my profiles setting in 60.9.1, it is still pointing to my g: drive profile, but the application window shows nothing and asks me to setup a new email profile (see screen shot below). I also tried deleting/renaming the global-messages-sb.sqlite file. But no luck.
Any other ideas?
Best REgards, Neal
The only way around this is if you have an older backup of your profile folder. That's what I had to do. When I downgraded back to 60.9.1 and tried to use the latest profile, I had the same issue. It looks like the profile gets upgraded or maybe corrupted somehow and will no longer work with the older tbird version. I had to go to my time machine and get a backup of the Profile folder from before I attempted the upgrade.
Another thing that someone recommended in my post thread is to delete some sqlite file and restart tbird to have it rebuild it to hopefully fix the issue. I haven't tested it yet but you can view my topic and you'll see the name of the file the person recommended. Perhaps that will work as well.
Also another thing that you have to do when downgrading to the older version is to make sure you fully delete the current Thunderbird application as well as the Thunderbird folder in your Library if you are on a Mac. Then run the 60.9.1 version and it will create a new Thunderbird folder in Library. Copy your old profile folder to the new tbird folder and manually edit the profile.ini file so it uses your old default profile. Save and restart tbird.
Thank you again Tyomak! I didn't realize I would lose the information in my Thunderbird profile. Unfortunately I haven't backed up recently, but I'll have to dig up my last backup and try it...a project for the weekend :-)
Thanks again for your help! Neal
You are welcome Neal. Hopefully you will get it working. I wasn't aware of it messing up the profile when doing the upgrade either.
Keep those backups handy!