Transferring Passwords form Firefox 45.9.0 to 70.0.1
Without using Sync, what is the easiest way to transfer my Firefox passwords from my old Mac (running OS X 10.6.8) to a new Mac (running 10.15.1)?
Is it as simple as moving the old logins.json and key3.db files from the old Firefox Profile folder to the new Firefox Profile folder?
Can I copy the old Firefox Profiles folder and replace the Profile folder in the new Mac with a copy (to get all my bookmarks & passwords)?
Firefox 45 uses key3.db for the key file. Firefox 55 and later use key4.db (SQLite) for the key file. Firefox 55+ can fallback to using key3.db, but that only works when no key4.db is present in the profile folder.Read this answer in context 1
Additional System Details
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 11.0.11
- Catalina Savings Printer Plugin
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Coupons Inc., Coupon Printer
- RealPlayer Plugin
- RevTrax PrintMyCoupon
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 12.0.0
- Widevine Media Optimizer 22.214.171.12457
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
You can simply copy your profile, and place it on your new computer. Just make sure there is a backup in case of data failure.
If I move the entire Profile folder won't I be moving all the old add-ons, extensions and other files that may not work in the new version of Firefox?
Any old extensions that don't work just won't work, but yes, you can just move the logins files if you want.
Copy logins.json and key3.db from 45 esr profile and remove the existing key4.db to the current profile folder.
Do I understand correctly - the Profile folder in Firefox 70.0.1 has a file named key4.db which needs to be removed before I copy the old key3.db file.
Firefox 45 uses key3.db for the key file. Firefox 55 and later use key4.db (SQLite) for the key file. Firefox 55+ can fallback to using key3.db, but that only works when no key4.db is present in the profile folder.
Thanks for the complete explanation - really appreciated.