Firefox upgraded to 68 I can't save anything to C:\ "A required privilege is not held by client"
Since Firefox was upgraded to 68, I cannot download and save anything to C:\ I get Windows error "A required privilege is not held by client"
Worked fine until I upgraded Firefox to 68. No other windows changes. (Windows 7) Other browsers have no problems, only firefox.
No extensions or add-ons of any kind being run. Problem only appeared after FireFox 68 update. Windows 7 useraccountcontrolsettings set to NEVER NOTIFY Tried to run FireFox as administrator, did not help. UAC set to disable (Always been like this) No other changes other than FireFox 68 update.
Thank You. Perfect explanation Worked PERFECTLY.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.142 Safari/537.36
Firefox 68 introduces a new launcher process that reduces the browser to running as a standard user (medium integrity). A program running with standard user privileges can't write in certain places on the system. (Having UAC disabled also causes problems with drag-and-drop, but that's a different issue.)
If your work routinely requires you to save to the root of the C drive, you can override the privilege reduction by starting Firefox with a command-line switch. This bypasses the new security feature and forces Firefox to run the browser with full user privileges. The simplest method would be to modify your Firefox program shortcut (assuming you start Firefox from the program shortcut, and not from a link). Either:
- Right-click a Firefox desktop shortcut, then click Properties
- Right-click a Firefox icon pinned to the Taskbar then right-click Mozilla Firefox, then click Properties
Windows should show the Shortcut tab and select the Target field. The Target usually is along the following lines:
- "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
You would add a space and then the new switch, either:
- "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-deelevate
- "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -no-deelevate
Thank You. Perfect explanation Worked PERFECTLY.
Modified by b5166980