X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

thunderbird display in reply ONLY sender's name instead sender's email address

Posted

i do correspondence with someone via emails. When i reply for 5th time i see in email´s body history of our messeges.

But mozilla display ONLY message sender's name instead name+email address like: "1.5.2019 at 9:00am sender´s name wrote: text of messege..." .

So i have no idea about sender´s email address.

Ideal is: "1.5.2019 at 9:00am sender´s name <SENDERS@EMAIL.COM> wrote: text of messege..." .

Yes, I need email address to display and print out! Yes, I did search and was not succesful. Thank You

i do correspondence with someone via emails. When i reply for 5th time i see in email´s body history of our messeges. But mozilla display ONLY message sender's name instead name+email address like: "1.5.2019 at 9:00am sender´s name wrote: text of messege..." . So i have no idea about sender´s email address. Ideal is: "1.5.2019 at 9:00am sender´s name <SENDERS@EMAIL.COM> wrote: text of messege..." . Yes, I need email address to display and print out! Yes, I did search and was not succesful. Thank You

Modified by question7

Quote

Additional System Details

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36

More Information

Toad-Hall
  • Top 10 Contributor
1769 solutions 11894 answers

What you are seeing for a Reply is normal. It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address.

re: So i have no idea about sender´s email address. The replied to email address will be automatically entered in the 'TO' field because it is a reply to that email address.

What you are seeing for a Reply is normal. It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address. re: ''So i have no idea about sender´s email address''. The replied to email address will be automatically entered in the 'TO' field because it is a reply to that email address.
Was this helpful to you?
Quote
sfhowes
  • Top 10 Contributor
1561 solutions 7476 answers

Try the ReplyWithHeader add-on, as it has options to display the type of info you want.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-addon-thunderbird

Try the [https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/replywithheader/ ReplyWithHeader] add-on, as it has options to display the type of info you want. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/installing-addon-thunderbird
Was this helpful to you?
Quote

Question owner

thank you for support, but i hope it can be solved

  • without add-ons*.

its essential , basic thing. I do not require something special from thunderbird, only to display correctly informations.

thank you for support, but i hope it can be solved *without add-ons*. its essential , basic thing. I do not require something special from thunderbird, only to display correctly informations.
Was this helpful to you?
Quote

Helpful Reply

Toad-Hall said

What you are seeing for a Reply is normal. It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address. re: So i have no idea about sender´s email address. The replied to email address will be automatically entered in the 'TO' field because it is a reply to that email address.

Thank for your support.
I do not consider it as "normal". I do conversation between my email address and client´s email address, not between "names". If thunderbird is so smart to replace email addresses with names in history of communication, it should be able to simply add email addresses behind names too. Thunderbird knows those informations well.

Fact is that when i browsed today my inbox emails and click on REPLY, some emails (not all, only few) are displaying as i wish:
"Monday 22.3.2019 9am, my-name <myemail@address.com> has wrote: some text in body"
but why other messages are displayed without email address behind name? Is it normal display some and other not display? What makes this difference? Some settings? Settings of sender´s mail client? Older update?

Why email address is not automatically entered behind name into < > ? So easy so useful.

"It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address. " I understand, but please understand that we should have option to allow/deny displaying email address of sender behind name.
What in case i have email history about 30 pages, i print it out whole and later (without access to my email box) i need only make copy of page 23? Why do i need to copy title page (for information about email address of Mr. Smith to reply) + page 23 (where some important content is stored) ? Please understand that we do not have access everywhere to our mail box due privacy, security, ....
I do not consider this solution like normal.

''Toad-Hall [[#answer-1223526|said]]'' <blockquote> What you are seeing for a Reply is normal. It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address. re: ''So i have no idea about sender´s email address''. The replied to email address will be automatically entered in the 'TO' field because it is a reply to that email address. </blockquote> Thank for your support.<br> I do not consider it as "normal". I do conversation between my email address and client´s email address, not between "names". If thunderbird is so smart to replace email addresses with names in history of communication, it should be able to simply add email addresses behind names too. Thunderbird knows those informations well. <br><br> Fact is that when i browsed today my inbox emails and click on REPLY, some emails (not all, only few) are displaying as i wish:<br> "Monday 22.3.2019 9am, my-name <myemail@address.com> has wrote: some text in body" <br> but why other messages are displayed without email address behind name? Is it normal display some and other not display? What makes this difference? Some settings? Settings of sender´s mail client? Older update?<br><br> Why email address is not automatically entered behind name into < > ? So easy so useful. <br><br> "It is not in the copied part of email because it is being replied to the person who wrote the email and they know their email address. " I understand, but please understand that we should have option to allow/deny displaying email address of sender behind name.<br> What in case i have email history about 30 pages, i print it out whole and later (without access to my email box) i need only make copy of page 23? Why do i need to copy title page (for information about email address of Mr. Smith to reply) + page 23 (where some important content is stored) ? Please understand that we do not have access everywhere to our mail box due privacy, security, .... <br> I do not consider this solution like normal.<br>
Was this helpful to you? 1
Quote
Toad-Hall
  • Top 10 Contributor
1769 solutions 11894 answers

re :What in case i have email history about 30 pages, i print it out whole and later (without access to my email box) i need only make copy of page 23? I can see your point.

When I say 'normal', I'm not talking about whether you or I think it is normal. I mean it is not a bug - it is normal for Thunderbird. When original sender includes their name with email, then that section - the display name is used, when there is no display name included then you will see the email address. Sometimes you may see both, but this maybe a reply from the sender and not inserted by Thunderbird.

sfhowes kindly mentioned that the use of a particular addon extension would assist you and resolve your issue.

Alternative - manual: As the 'TO' field is already displaying the email address, you could simply copy and paste it into the 'reply' section after the name.

Regarding getting a printed copy of particular email: If you created a 'Print Preview' then 'Print' from within Thunderbird, then you would have no problem as the headers are included in each sent email.

re '':What in case i have email history about 30 pages, i print it out whole and later (without access to my email box) i need only make copy of page 23?'' I can see your point. When I say 'normal', I'm not talking about whether you or I think it is normal. I mean it is not a bug - it is normal for Thunderbird. When original sender includes their name with email, then that section - the display name is used, when there is no display name included then you will see the email address. Sometimes you may see both, but this maybe a reply from the sender and not inserted by Thunderbird. sfhowes kindly mentioned that the use of a particular addon extension would assist you and resolve your issue. Alternative - manual: As the 'TO' field is already displaying the email address, you could simply copy and paste it into the 'reply' section after the name. Regarding getting a printed copy of particular email: If you created a 'Print Preview' then 'Print' from within Thunderbird, then you would have no problem as the headers are included in each sent email.
Was this helpful to you? 1
Quote
sfhowes
  • Top 10 Contributor
1561 solutions 7476 answers

Helpful Reply

You can read about a similar request in this bug report: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=140377 http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reply_header_settings
Was this helpful to you? 1
Quote
foehn 0 solutions 2 answers

ReplyWithHeader is good, but agreed with @question7 that users should be given an option for displaying sender's address or not.

ReplyWithHeader is good, but agreed with @question7 that users should be given an option for displaying sender's address or not.
Was this helpful to you?
Quote
Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.