X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

kubuntu 18.04 Thunderbird Comcast stopped working

Posted

I love Thunderbird and have been using with Kubuntu and comcast for years. Yesterday, I had a problem where emails stopped showing up...got them fine on phone, but not laptop. I went into Tbird and deleted comcast account and decided to reinstall.....which I now cannot do. Initial screen says that configuration is found in Mozilla database but when proceeding, I get errors that password not correct, which I know is not true since I can access the web version. any help appreciated.

I love Thunderbird and have been using with Kubuntu and comcast for years. Yesterday, I had a problem where emails stopped showing up...got them fine on phone, but not laptop. I went into Tbird and deleted comcast account and decided to reinstall.....which I now cannot do. Initial screen says that configuration is found in Mozilla database but when proceeding, I get errors that password not correct, which I know is not true since I can access the web version. any help appreciated.

Chosen solution

I've seen several reports recently with same issue connecting to comcast.

Sounds like comcast are having some issues.


I did locate info where someone also using Linux got a hint to change the IMAP server name from imap.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com

quote: For those looking for a more direct answer, name resolution for imap.comcast.net seems to be failing recently. Users in the Ubuntu forum thread offer the resolution of changing the account's server to one of the IP addresses reported by "nslookup imap.comcast.net" (use the terminal, Luke.) Rather than using a fixed IP address, I reset the server name to imap.ge.xfinity.com (the canonical name for imap.comcast.net) then had to submit my password for the newly-named server. Works a treat.

Try this and report back on results.

Read this answer in context 0

Additional System Details

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Ubuntu Chromium/70.0.3538.77 Chrome/70.0.3538.77 Safari/537.36

More Information

Toad-Hall
  • Top 10 Contributor
1709 solutions 11394 answers

Chosen Solution

I've seen several reports recently with same issue connecting to comcast.

Sounds like comcast are having some issues.


I did locate info where someone also using Linux got a hint to change the IMAP server name from imap.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com

quote: For those looking for a more direct answer, name resolution for imap.comcast.net seems to be failing recently. Users in the Ubuntu forum thread offer the resolution of changing the account's server to one of the IP addresses reported by "nslookup imap.comcast.net" (use the terminal, Luke.) Rather than using a fixed IP address, I reset the server name to imap.ge.xfinity.com (the canonical name for imap.comcast.net) then had to submit my password for the newly-named server. Works a treat.

Try this and report back on results.

I've seen several reports recently with same issue connecting to comcast. Sounds like comcast are having some issues. * https://downdetector.com/status/comcast-xfinity I did locate info where someone also using Linux got a hint to change the IMAP server name from imap.comcast.net to imap.ge.xfinity.com * https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Error-The-connection-to-remote-server-imap-email-comcast-net/td-p/3167847 quote: ''For those looking for a more direct answer, name resolution for imap.comcast.net seems to be failing recently. Users in the Ubuntu forum thread offer the resolution of changing the account's server to one of the IP addresses reported by "nslookup imap.comcast.net" (use the terminal, Luke.) Rather than using a fixed IP address, I reset the server name to imap.ge.xfinity.com (the canonical name for imap.comcast.net) then had to submit my password for the newly-named server. Works a treat.'' Try this and report back on results.

Question owner

The imap.ge.xfinity.com server name fixed it for me. Thank you!

The imap.ge.xfinity.com server name fixed it for me. Thank you!