X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

After Firefox 57 update, no audio - Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1, Presario CQ56 laptop with 8GB ram

Posted

Greetings- After updating to Quantum this evening, all browser related audio stopped (YouTube, etc). YouTube audio is turned on (not muted), and the system Volume Mixer is set at a normal level. There is no speaker icon on the browser tab for the YouTube page, but the local menu seen by right clicking on the tab indicates the tab is not muted. I did install Tree Tabs when I updated Firefox to Quantum, but disabling the plugin did not restore the audio. System sounds are unaffected, and audio plays normally through Chrome when I visit the same sites (with the same audio settings). Any clues? Thanks!

Greetings- After updating to Quantum this evening, all browser related audio stopped (YouTube, etc). YouTube audio is turned on (not muted), and the system Volume Mixer is set at a normal level. There is no speaker icon on the browser tab for the YouTube page, but the local menu seen by right clicking on the tab indicates the tab is not muted. I did install Tree Tabs when I updated Firefox to Quantum, but disabling the plugin did not restore the audio. System sounds are unaffected, and audio plays normally through Chrome when I visit the same sites (with the same audio settings). Any clues? Thanks!

Chosen solution

Thanks @Pkshadow! I neglected to mention one other factor - I've been using Sandboxie, which turns out to be the source of the problem. For others having this problem, Barb (in the Sandboxie forums) laid out a workaround:

  • Open Firefox outside Sandboxie
  • Type about:config and accept the risk
  • Search for "sandbox"
  • Switch security.sandbox.content.level to 2 (mine was 3, if needed switch it to 1 or 0 ).
  • Close Firefox
  • Relaunch Firefox 57 Sandboxed and re-try the audio.

Problem solved!

Read this answer in context 14

Additional System Details

Installed Plug-ins

Tree Tabs, AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Ghostery, AutoFill Forms, Google Analytics Opt-Out, IDM Integration Module, Keepass, Keepa - Amazon Price Tracker, MySessions, The Camelizer

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0

More Information

Pkshadow
  • Top 10 Contributor
760 solutions 9198 answers

Uninstall Firefox. Then Delete the Mozilla Firefox Folders in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files(x86) Then restart system. Then run Windows Disk Cleanup. Then run it again and click the button that says Cleanup System Files. Note: your Firefox Profile is saved. But you should make a back up before you do : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles

Reinstall with Current Release Firefox 57.0 with a Full Version Installer https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/

Please let us know if this solved your issue or if need further assistance.

Uninstall Firefox. Then Delete the Mozilla Firefox Folders in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files(x86) Then restart system. Then run Windows Disk Cleanup. Then run it again and click the button that says Cleanup System Files. Note: your Firefox Profile is saved. But you should make a back up before you do : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-and-restore-information-firefox-profiles Reinstall with Current Release Firefox 57.0 with a Full Version Installer https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ Please let us know if this solved your issue or if need further assistance.

Chosen Solution

Thanks @Pkshadow! I neglected to mention one other factor - I've been using Sandboxie, which turns out to be the source of the problem. For others having this problem, Barb (in the Sandboxie forums) laid out a workaround:

  • Open Firefox outside Sandboxie
  • Type about:config and accept the risk
  • Search for "sandbox"
  • Switch security.sandbox.content.level to 2 (mine was 3, if needed switch it to 1 or 0 ).
  • Close Firefox
  • Relaunch Firefox 57 Sandboxed and re-try the audio.

Problem solved!

Thanks @Pkshadow! I neglected to mention one other factor - I've been using Sandboxie, which turns out to be the source of the problem. For others having this problem, Barb (in the Sandboxie forums) laid out a workaround: * Open Firefox outside Sandboxie * Type about:config and accept the risk * Search for "sandbox" * Switch security.sandbox.content.level to 2 (mine was 3, if needed switch it to 1 or 0 ). * Close Firefox * Relaunch Firefox 57 Sandboxed and re-try the audio. Problem solved!