Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

How does one solve the certificate problem (Phenom 4, windows 7 pro)

  • 2 replies
  • 2 have this problem
  • 5 views
  • Last reply by johncurry

more options

Many sites do not display properly or will not let me in at all, firefox says there is a certificate problem; and this happened when I tried to download quantum: "download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported. Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER" This is quite crazy; I have had to use chrome for several days.

All Replies (2)

more options

Hi johncurry

  1. To be 100% clear, when you try to download Firefox 57 for Windows from Firefox 56 for Windows you get a certificate error from download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net , is that right?
  2. Strange! I see no such error from download-installer.cdn.mozilla.net
  3. Could you check your internet provider, your wifi router, your proxy, etc? Because I have no such error when upgrading from Firefox 56 to 57
  4. If that doesn't help you solve the problem, please let us know exactly what you did, what you expected and what happened. And let us know your ISP.

Cheers!

...Roland

more options

1 Yes. I received several security errors in recent weeks, and several sites did not display properly; blue text , no graphics. Creation of a permanent exception was offered. Sometimes an attempt was denied; sometimes it was accepted, No permant exceptions were stored (the process repeated on revisiting the sites; no list of exceptions was offered. 2 Fair enough. 3 Check what? 4 As described in my original question; did and happened. I tried alternative browsers. Chrome worked fine, but no ad-blocker ( a surprise!). Opera (apparently now a chrome variant) would not install flash; DKM software broken. But almost certainly rulling out queries in q3 above. ISP is eircom, ireland; per my email address. I decided to download the installer again with a view to doing a fresh install; in the first instance without deleting data - many saved passwords!). The refresh option was offered, so I took it (better than re-installing). Following the refresh a restart was required to install a bitdefender certificate. Since then all appears well. All bookmarked sites work as expected. Some addons have vanished (notably adblocker), some were installed automatically (ghostery and others). It may well be that the error was from bitdefender; windows programmes are so bad at identifying what generated any particular window. (And Android is not any better.) Anyway, it appears that a solution has been found. Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my request for help. I hope that the info above may be useful to someone else. John.