new win7 computer. want to migrate passwords from old machine. How?
Old machine uses FF12. Passwords are in signons.sqlite rather than logins.json. Procedure to migrate these passwords to new machine???????
Thanks, Cor-el. I'll give your suggestions a try as soon as I can get a few minutes. Looks like they will do the trick.Read this answer in context 0
Additional System Details
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.5.0"
- Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 10.1
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.0; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
I recommend that you follow this article to copy across your Firefox profile, including your passwords and your bookmarks to your new computer.
I hope that this helps, but if not, please come back here and we can look into a different solution for you.
Will the newer Fire Fox convert the signon.sqlite to logins.json without issue?
Apologies, I had not noticed that element of your question.
Given the older nature of Firefox 12, I would struggle to think of a safe way to do this automatically and so that you do not loose data.
You may be better off either capturing screenshots of the password manager or creating a separate record in an office package or written down so that you can re-enter the information once you have updated.
Firefox should import the passwords in signon.sqlite automatically if you remove an existing logins.json file and copy signon.sqlite and key3.db from the W2K computer to the profile folder of the new computer.
You can make Firefox (re)import the passwords from signons.sqlite and rebuild the logins.json file with these steps:
- reset the signon.importedFromSqlite pref on the about:config page to the default value via the right-click context menu
- delete the logins.json file in the Firefox profile folder with Firefox closed
When you restart Firefox then you should have the signon.importedFromSqlite pref with the value set to true. You should see the imported passwords in the Password Manager unless there have been errors with signons.sqlite or with key3.db.
You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can accept the warning and click "I'll be careful" to continue.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You can also look at an older version of Password Exporter that supports your Firefox 12 version.
Thanks, Cor-el. I'll give your suggestions a try as soon as I can get a few minutes. Looks like they will do the trick.
Yes!!!! Finally had a few minutes to try the suggestion. Worked like a charm.